India is slated to become the Osteoarthritis Capital of the world with over 60 million ailing people by 2025 – currently osteoarthritis is the most prevalent form of arthritis in India, affecting over 15 million adults every year. More prevalent in women post 55, osteoarthritis is most commonly detected in the knees, in addition to affecting the hips and joints of the hands, feet and spine. People with osteoarthritis often complain of joint pain and reduced motion.
Symptoms Of Osteoarthritis:
- Deep aching joint pain that is mostly chronic in nature
- Grating of the joint with motion
- Joint swelling and warmth
- Morning stiffness
- Pain worsens after – exercise, putting weight on joint, during monsoon, with rest
Limited mobility of joints
- Hard lumps known as bone spurs can be created around affected joint
- Deformity and outward curvature of the knees known as ‘bowlegged’ (occurs in severe cases)
- Limping (when weight bearing joints are affected)
- Neck pain, lower back pain (when cervical or lumbar spine is affected)
- Severe pain, tingling and numbness in areas supplied by the affected nerve (when joints of the spine are affected)
Causes Of Osteoarthritis:
Osteoarthritis happens gradually over time, based on the degeneration of the cartilage that exists between bones. When the degeneration progresses, the cartilage can get eroded completely, causing the rubbing of the bones during joint movements. This causes pain and the grating sensation during any movement.
Risk Factors That Lead To Osteoarthritis:
- Being overweight
- Getting older
- Joint injury
- Joints that are not properly formed
- A genetic defect in joint cartilage
- Stresses on the joints from certain jobs and playing sports
- Muscle weakness
- Medical disorders like diabetes
Can Homeopathy Help?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder – meaning the changes in the joints cannot be reversed but further progression of the condition can be halted. Homeopathy can provide patients with osteoarthritis good relief, particularly during the initial stages of the condition. Numerous patients report of decline in the intensity of pain and stiffness as well as improved mobility of the joints after starting homeopathy treatment, along with overall improvement in health. A significant advantage of homeopathic medications is that it can be continued for a long duration, which is essential in patients with osteoarthritis, without triggering side- effects. Also, the medicines are safe, non-toxic and non-habit forming.
- Reduce weight if you are overweight
- Exercise regularly
- Wear comfortable footwear, preferably cushioned ones, as they help support your weight, mostly in cases of osteoarthritis of knees, hips or spine.
- Avoid putting excessive pressure on any of your joints, and be gentle in your movements
- Try hot or cold compresses on the affected joint. But, avoid hot compresses in an acutely inflamed joint.
- Splints and braces should be considered for supporting weakened joints.
- Consumption of antioxidant nutrients found in fruits and vegetables should be increased.