How would you feel if every time you went to a restaurant, you’d need to check with the table attendant each and every ingredient that goes into the making of every dish you wish to order? Wouldn’t it be annoying? Or just imagine the trauma of a child who cannot eat his favourite food because his mum says it’s harmful for his health. Unfortunately, this is a reality for most who suffer from food allergies.
Understanding Food Allergy:
Food Allergy is the condition where your immune system overreacts to a particular protein in the food. The body’s immune system identifies and destroys bacteria or viruses that make you sick. However, a food allergy results when the immune system mistakenly targets a harmless food protein – an allergen – as a threat and attacks it. Symptoms occur even if a tiny amount is consumed.
Symptoms Of Food Allergy: include hives or eczema, red skin or rashes, tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth, face, or tongue, swelling of lips, vomiting and/or diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, coughing, wheezing, dizziness and/or light headedness, swelling of the throat and vocal cords and difficulty in breathing, or loss of consciousness.
Causes Of Food Allergy: Eight food products/groups cause about 90% of food allergy reactions. These include milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts like walnuts and almonds, soy, wheat and other grains with gluten including barley, rye, and oats; fish and shellfish. Less common ones include corn, gelatine, meat beef, chicken, mutton, and pork; seeds, often sesame, sunflower, and poppy and spices, such as caraway, coriander, garlic, and mustard.
Risk Factors of contracting Food Allergies include if:
• Family history shows a presence of asthma, eczema, hives or allergies like hay fever. Asthma and food allergy commonly occur together. When they do, both food allergy and asthma symptoms are more likely to be severe.
• There have been past food allergies. This is especially high in children. Allergies to nuts and shellfish are likely to be life-long.
• You’re allergic to one food – you may be at increased risk of becoming allergic to another. Likewise, if you have other types of allergic reactions, such as hay fever or eczema, your risk of having a food allergy is greater.
Homeopathy For Food Allergy:
Homeopathy views food allergies as an expression of a disturbance in the patient’s healing system and therefore the treatment works by optimising the overcharged immune system.
- Monsoons And Hair Fall - 25 September2021
- Monsoons And Stomach Ailments - 28 August2021
- Monsoons And Warts - 31 July2021