Khanderi Sea Island
It is an island with a fort, located 20 kms South of Mumbai, along the coast of Maharashtra. Initially uninhabited, in 1679, Khanderi was occupied by the forces of Shivaji, who built the Khanderi Fort, which was subsequently ceded in 1818 to the British. The fort is a restricted area, falling under the jurisdiction of the Indian Navy. It’s most prominent structure is a 22 feet high lighthouse located atop a two storey building, visible from up to 13 km. It also houses a few old metal canons, the tomb of local saint (Daud Pir), a secret passage way and a musical stone that emits metallic musical notes when struck. In 1998, Khanderi island was renamed Kanhoji Angre Island in honour of the Maratha General Kanhoji Angre.
Known to be the largest cave temples in Mumbai and one of the earliest in India, Jogeshwari Caves is located in Mumbai’s Jogeshwari suburb. Dating back to 520 to 550 CE, these caves are a classic example of Mahayana Buddhist architecture. Comprising numerous pillars and sculptures lined along its walls – especially the idols of Dattatreya, Hanuman, Ganesh, and figures of Shiva – there is also a lingam, a statue of goddess Jogeshwari and her foot imprints here. Surrounded by encroachments, these caves are used as a temples by encroachers and have been classified as endangered, due to sewage and waste entering the premises, but a must see for their beautiful carvings and endangered sculptural grandeur.
- નવરોઝ મુબારક! - 18 March2023
- જમશેદી નવરોઝ એક નવી જાગૃતિ - 18 March2023
- આજની હાઈ-ફાઈ અને વાઈ-ફાઈ જનરેશનને શું ખબર કે 80-90ના જમાનામાં પણ કેવી જાતની કોમ્પ્યુટર ટેકનોલોજીઓ હતી! - 18 March2023