Diwali or the Festival of Lights, undoubtedly brings light and happiness in our lives, being one of the biggest festivals of India. But considering the mounting air and noise pollution that envelopes the city, thanks to the incessant bursting of crackers, it has unfortunately become one of the most dreadful festival – especially for seniors and animals – who get near traumatised.
Bursting of fireworks not only causes air pollution but also Noise pollution. Also because of happiest festival many people use loudspeakers, loud musical instruments and advertisements that causes noise pollution. Level of noise level can go beyond 125 dB which is as loud as Military jet aircraft take-off, whereas government limits Noise level at 55dB in daytime and 45dB at night for residential area. This proves very harmful.
Many of us flee to hill stations believing the false notion that we can escape the effects of this pollution, but the actual spike in the air pollution starts a few days before and lasts up to 20 days post the festival.
Rise in poisonous fumes and harmful particles like lead, cadmium, zinc, manganese and potassium affect various systems in our body, like:
The Respiratory System:
Due to congestion in air, people get sick, and there is an increase of risk to those with respiratory problems. The toxic gasses released from firecrackers are extremely harmful.
- Upper respiratory tract infection or allergies including sneezing, running nose and coughing.
- Lower respiratory tract infection including bronchitis i.e. inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
- Increase in frequency of asthma attacks for patients with asthma and COPD (Chronic obstructive Pulmonary Disorder)
The Heart Hazard: The loud noise caused by incessant firecrackers causes unease in those who suffer from hypertension. It may also lead to sleeping disturbances and high blood pressure. Sudden loud noise can cause permanent or temporary deafness and can also result in heart attack.
The Skin: The air pollution caused by harmful gasses such as sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and other chemicals can cause skin allergies and dryness. Irritation, allergy and rashes are common skin ailments through the season for many.
The Eyes: Irritation of eyes, watering and redness of eyes is common
The Digestive System: The pollution takes a heavy toll due to the changed diet including excessive sweet meets, heavy calories, alcohol, etc
Here are some Do’s and Don’t to Detox your system:
- Wear a multi-layered mask while going outdoors trips to avoid inhalation of harmful chemicals
- Use air purifiers at home
- There are many plants which purify chemical loaded air – pot these in your vicinity
- Application of moisturizer in your nasal cavity can help prevent particles from going in the system
- Wear clothes which cover the body maximum, so as to protect the skin – like full sleeved tops and jeans or pants – which reduces the exposure of skin to the toxic gasses.
- Lemon is a natural detoxifying agent, so a bit of lemon juice in your daily diet will hasten the detoxification process.
- Green tea is helpful
- Fruits that help detox include apple, berries, grapes, watermelon, kiwi, pineapple and oranges
- Soaked nuts and dry fruits help to detoxify the colon
- Steamed sprouts boost immunity and help in purifying the blood
- Increase your water intake as this helps flush out the impurities sooner
- Include curd in your diet
- Ajwain, jeera, tulsi, fenugreek seeds are all detoxifiers
- Turmeric milk, ginger honey paste, carrot and beetroot juice help cleansing the system internally
- Steam inhalation of salt water helps in cleansing the respiratory tract
- Use sunglasses while outdoors to protect the eyes
- Avoid outdoor exercises including morning walks, runs or jogging till the air quality is back to neutral
- Avoid traveling on two wheelers
The above should be followed up to 20 days post festival in order to prevent and reverse the toxic effects caused to the body.
Latest posts by PT Reporter (see all)
- હું યે એકવાર ‘વહુ’ જ હતી ને! - 8 December2018
- અહુરમજદ સાથના સંબંધનું પહેલું સાધન કાયદાની ફરમાનબરદારી - 8 December2018
- સાચ્ચી બંદગી અને તેની સાથેથોડી વહેવારૂ દીની તરીકતનો જાણવાજોગ ખુલાસો - 8 December2018