Nowroze Baug was the first of the Parsi colonies to be envisioned and built by the magnanimous benefactor – late Bai Jerbai Wadia, in 1908. Its ‘G Block’ was the eight of the thirteen buildings built at a cost of Rs. 1,54,331 and inaugurated on 10th Jan, 1921 thereby marking its centenary on the 10th of January this year.
The residents celebrated this grand occasion over a weekend of celebrations at Nowroze Baug’s G block on the 9th and 10th of this month. With the façade completely adorned with lights and colourful flowers and beautiful rangoli at the entrance, the building stood proudly for an evening of fun, organized between the G and H blocks. Residents from other blocks joined in the commemoration, with strict adherence to the pandemic-imposed restrictions.
The program started with a karaoke session followed by a fun, 4-team Antakshari competition and the all-time favorite game of Housie, conducted by G block resident – Firdosh Khambatta. A well-attended Jashan ceremony was held on the morning of 10th January, graced by Percy Siganporia, the Secretary of NN and RN Wadia Trusts
Phiroze Tarapore thanked him and the G Block residents for voluntarily contributing towards the centenary celebration expenses. He applauded the consistent efforts of G block residents – Bomi Dotiwala, Nozer Sutaria, Dali Mohta, Jeroo Tata and Firdosh Khambatta for making the celebrations a success.