After the scorching summer heat, the first showers bring in relief, making the atmosphere cool and comfortable. But rains also bring with them a fair share of woes like incessant coughs and colds, fever, running nose, malaria, leptospirosis, dengue, gastro-enteritis and diarrhoea-dysentery. Shernaz Avari shares a few natural remedies as preventive and corrective measures for coughs and colds.
Treatment For The Common Cold:
At the outset, it is pertinent to boost the immunity levels in your body so you can fight the ailment. Here are a few ways to do away with the annoying leaking noses!
- Chew 8 to 10 tulsi leaves with 3 black peppercorns. Alternatively, you can boil the same in a cup of water and drink the concoction and later chew the leaves and peppercorns.
- Add scrapped ginger pieces, black pepper powder and tulsi leaves to your tea water.
- ‘Ajmo’ is a capital remedy for all respiratory disorders. Take half teaspoon of ajmo seeds with a little jaggery daily. Also crush some ajmo seeds and roast on a tava. Tie up in cloth and inhale the hot vapours to relieve congestion and blocked nose. Also keep the hot poultice on your neck, chest and back.
- For acute cold which feels clogged in the head, boil one cup of milk adding one tsp. each of turmeric and black pepper powder. Sip on it slowly.
- Neem is ideal if you are prone to coughs, colds and fever on a regular basis. Drink 1/4th cup of bitter neem juice. Applying neem paste by adding to cold milk, neem powder, dry ginger powder and clove powders on the forehead is great to provide relief from headaches.
- Add a few tulsi leaves to your ‘matka’ water or chew a few bitter neem leaves daily.
- While it is advisable to take warm water throughout the day, you can also take 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar with one tbsp of honey in a cup of warm water.
- Don’t forget your daily dose of Vitamin ‘C’ tablets (500 mg) The chewable variety in orange flavor is also available. It’s better to give one tablet to a child than offering sweets and chocolates.
- Steam inhalations with eucalyptus oil or lavender oil is a good remedy for colds, sinus, asthma and bronchitis.
Treatment For Cough:
- Do warm water gargles with salt and a pinch of turmeric. Avoid nuts.
- To 1 tbsp of honey, add turmeric powder, clove powder, dry ginger powder and flaxseed powder. Have this paste twice a day.
- To get relief from nagging cough, add one tsp each of ginger juice and onion juice to one tbsp of honey. Swallow slowly.
- Chew one or two cloves (lavang) with a pinch of salt in-between meals. This relieves irritation in the throat due to phlegm (balgam).
- Boil 1 cup water with 1 tsp each of black pepper, cumin and jaggery. Consume warm for relief from chest congestion.
- Extract 3 tsp. ginger juice and add crushed tulsi leaves to it and 1 tsp. honey. This will provide relief from cough and sore throat.